Monday 30 June 2014

" THE CANTERVILLE GHOST" PLAYSCRIPT




 THE CANTERVILLE GHOST (by OSCAR WILDE)


NARRATOR 1:

First of all, we´re going to introduce the characters in this play.

NARRATOR 2:

O primeiro de todo, imos presentar os personaxes desta obra.

NARRATOR 1:

- This is Lord Canterville (the first owner of the castle).

NARRADOR 2 :

- Este é Lord Canterville (o primeiro dono do castelo).

NARRATOR 1:

- And this is Mr. Otis (the rich man who buys the castle).

NARRADOR 2 :

- E este é o señor Otis (o home rico que merca o castelo).

NARRATOR 1:

- This lady is Mrs. Otis (Mr. Otis´ wife).

NARRADOR 2 :

- Esta señora é a señora Otis (a dona do señor Otis).

NARRATOR 1:

- This is the maid. She knows the story of  Sir Simon and Lady Eleanor de Canterville.

NARRADOR 2 :

- Esta é a doncela. Ela coñece a historia de Sir Simon e Lady Eleanor de Canterville.

NARRATOR 1:

- This is the Canterville Ghost. He is three hundred years old and lives in the castle.

NARRADOR 2 :

- Esta é a Pantasma de Canterville. Ten trescentos anos, e vive, no castelo.

NARRATOR 1:

- This lovely girl is Virginia (the Otis´ daughter).

NARRADOR 2 :

- Esta encantadora moza  é Virginia (a filla dos Otis).

NARRATOR 1:

- Finally, these are the twins (the Otis´  naughty sons).

NARRADOR 2 :

- Finalmente, estes son os xemelgos (os traviesos fillos dos Otis).



S C R I P T:


S C E N E   I:


NARRATOR 1

Lord Canterville and Mr. Otis are in the castle library. 
They´re discussing the buying of  The Canterville Castle by Mr. Otis.
And  Lord Canterville is telling Mr. Otis about the ghost…

NARRATOR 2

Lord Canterville e o señor Otis están na biblioteca do castelo. 
Están a discutir a compra do Castelo de Canterville polo señor Otis.
E  Lord Canterville está a lle contar ao señor Otis acerca da pantasma…

LORD CANTERVILLE

I have to tell you that we have a true ghost, here in the castle.

MR. OTIS:

I  really don’t care, Lord Canterville… I’ll buy the castle anyway… including the ghost.

LORD CANTERVILLE:

I must insist, there’s a ghost in the castle. It is three centuries old!
That’s why we can’t live here anymore.   
My wife can’t  sleep at night because of the strange noises.

MR. OTIS

Ghosts don´t exist, Lord Canterville.

LORD CANTERVILLE

Well, if you want to live with a ghost… 

MR. OTIS

Just give me the papers, and I’ll sign them right now.

( LORD CANTERVILLE GIVES HIM THE PAPERS AND MR. OTIS SIGNS THEM).

LORD CANTERVILLE

The castle, “Canterville Chase”… is all yours.

MR. OTIS

Thank you…We’ll move here tomorrow afternoon.

LORD CANTERVILLE:  

Very well,  Mr. Otis. Have a nice day.

( THEY SHAKE HANDS AND BOTH HEAD TO THE DOOR AND LEAVE).


S C E N E  II


NARRATOR 1:

The new owners (the Otis family) are in the castle having dinner.

NARRATOR 2:

Os novos donos (a familia Otis) están a cear, no castelo.

NARRATOR 1:

Suddenly, they see a red stain on the floor… And it won´t disappear… What can it be?

NARRATOR 2:

De repente, ven unha mancha vermella, no chan… E non desaparece… Que pode ser?

MRS. OTIS

There’s a red stain on the floor!!

( MRS. OTIS RINGS A BELL AND THE MAID ENTERS THE ROOM)

MAID

Yes, madam?

MRS. OTIS

I see  something on the floor. What is it?

MAID

Yes, madam… It’s a blood stain.

MRS. OTIS

How terrible! 
I don’t want to see blood stains on the floor.  
Clean it up immediately!

MAID

I’ll clean it up… But it won’t disappear… At least, not forever.

MRS. OTIS

Why not?  What do you mean?

NARRATOR 1:

The maid tells Mrs. Otis about Eleanore Canterville´s death, in 1575,  and how her husband was her murderer…

NARRATOR 2:

A doncela cóntalle á señora Otis sobre a morte de Eleanor Canterville, en 1575, e como o seu esposo foi o seu asasino…

MAID

The stain belongs to Mrs. Eleanore de Canterville.

MRS. OTIS

Eleanore de Canterville? … Who was she?

MAID

Well, she died in 1575…

MRS. OTIS

How did she die?

MAID

Her husband killed her.

MRS. OTIS

Oh, my goodness!

NARRATOR 1:

The maid tells Mrs. Otis that Sir Simon´s soul, (her husband), must be in peace, before the red stain disappears.

NARRATOR  2 :

A doncela cóntalle á señora Otis que a alma de Sir Simon  (o seu marido) debe estar en paz, antes de que desapareza a mancha vermella. 

MAID

Sir Simon de Canterville, her husband, lived here for nine years after her death.
But, then, he disappeared… 
And… Do you know what?

MRS. OTIS

What?, what? Tell me, please!

MAID

His soul stil lives in this castle.

MRS. OTIS

Oh! That’s all nonsense!
I’ll clean it up myself.

(MR. OTIS LEAVES THE ROOM AND COMES BACK WITH A LIQUID STAIN REMOVER AND DETERGENT. HE KNEELS DOWN AND CLEANS THE STAIN. THE STAIN DISAPPEARS).

MR. OTIS

See?  It disappeared!

( SUDDENLY, THERE´S THUNDER AND THE MAID SCREAMS).

MRS. OTIS:

 Don’t be afraid!

MAID

I´m scared! I saw the ghost with my own eyes…

MRS. OTIS

Don´t be silly! There’s no ghost in here!
Go to your room and try to rest… 
We’ll see you in the morning.

MAID

Thank you, madam…

( THE MAID LEAVES THE ROOMS AND MR. AND MRS. OTIS KEEP LOOKING AT THE DOOR WHERE THE STAIN WAS. THUNDER CONTINUES TO STRIKE. THEY LEAVE THE ROOM).


S C E N E  III



NARRATOR 1:

Mr. and Mrs. Otis and Virginia are in the dining room having breakfast.  The stain appears again.

NARRATOR 2:

O señor e a señora Otis, e Virginia están a almorzar, no comedor. A mancha aparece, outra vez.  

MRS. OTIS:

 The stain!

MR. OTIS:

I’ll clean it up again!

( MR. OTIS CLEAND THE STAIN. THE STAIN DISAPPEARS. SUDDENLY, THE DOORS OPENS AND A GHOST WITH LONG, GREY HAIR, RAGGED CLOTHES, AND CHAINS ENTERS THE ROOM. MRS. OTIS SCREAMS).

MR. OTIS:

Excuse me,  ghost, but your chains make a lot of noise! 
I think they need some oil.   

NARRATOR 1:

Mr. Otis wants to help, and he gives the ghost a bottle of oil for his chains. They can´t sleep!

NARRATOR 2:

O señor Otis quere axudar, e dálle á pantasma unha botella de aceite, para as súas cadeas. Non poden durmir! 


( MR. OTIS GIVES THE OIL TO THE GHOST. THE GHOST TAKES THE OIL AND THROWS IT TO THE FLOOR. THEN, HE FLIES DOWN THE CORRIDOR. AT THE END OF THE HALL, A DOOR OPENS SUDDENLY AND THE TWIN S SHOW UP THROWING BIG PILLOWS TO THE GHOST, WHO DISAPPEARS THROUGH THE WALL/BACKSTAGE).


MR. OTIS

 You mustn´t do that!

TWINS

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

MR. OTIS

If he doesn´t oil his chains…

MRS. OTIS

We cannot sleep at night!

VIRGINIA

All of you must leave him alone…

( THE GHOST APPEARS AGAIN AND TRIES TO SCARE THE FAMILY).

NARRATOR 1:

Mrs. Otis thinks that the ghost is ill, so she wants him to take her pills…

NARRATOR 2:

A señora Otis cree que a pantasma está enferma, así que quere que tome as súas pílulas.

GHOST

Ah, ah, aya, aya, aya!

MR. OTIS

You’re sick, Mr. Ghost!
 You need to take some medicine. 

GHOST

Ah, ah, aya, aya. Aya!

MRS. OTIS

Kids,  bring me the pills!

TWINS:

 Where are they?

MRS. OTIS

They are in my bedroom!
Hurry up!

TWINS

Yes, mommy.

( THE TWINS LEAVE THE ROOM. ANOTHER GHOST ENTERS THE ROOMS. THE GHOST IS A PUMPKIN HEAD STUCK INTO A MOP AND THE TWINS COVERED WITH A WHITE SHEET ARE HIDDEN UNDER THE SHEET. THE CANTERVILLE GHOST SCREAMS).

GHOST

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!

( THE GHOST LEAVES THE ROOM)

TWINS

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!  
We scared him!  We scared him!

VIRGINIA

This is not funny!
Leave him alone!

MR. OTIS

I don’t think he will be back.

MRS. OTIS

Come on… Our breakfast is getting cold.

( THEY SIT AT THE TABLE AND KEEP EATING).



 S C E N E   IV



NARRATOR 1:

The ghost is in his room. He´s very worried because of the twins and because of the another ghost…

NARRATOR 2:

A pantasma está no seu cuarto. Está moi preocupada polos xemelgos e pola outra pantasma…

GHOST

Oh, I feel so tired and weak!  
Those kids are a nightmare!  
I feel sad and so humilliated… 

NARRATOR 1:

Virginia is looking for the ghost. She wants to make friends with Sir Simon and help him.

NARRATOR 2:

Virginia está a buscar a pantasma. Quérese facer amiga de Sir Simon e axudalo.

VIRGINIA

Oh, Mr. Ghost! There you are!
I feel sooo sorry for you.  
Please, forgive my family.

GHOST

Those kids are so disrespectful!

VIRGINIA

I have good news for you… My brothers won´t be here tomorrow!
But, please, try to behave…

GHOST

Me? Your family is not scared of me!   
I want to scare people…  It’s my only reason for existing.

VIRGINIA

Why?

GHOST

Because that’s the only thing I can do…

VIRGINIA

You don’t have to.

GHOST

That’s none of your business.

VIRGINIA

I will leave you alone, then.

GHOST

No, please, don’t leave me… 
I’m sooo lonely…

VIRGINIA

Who are you?

GHOST

I am Sir Simon de Canterville.

NARRATOR 1:

Virginia and Sir Simon make friends, and the ghost tells the girl the story of his life and how  she can help him rest in peace, at the Garden of Death.

NARRATOR 2:

Virginia e Sir Simon fanse amigos, e a pantasma cóntalle á rapaza a historia da súa vida e como pode ela axudalo a descansar en paz, no Xardín da Morte.

VIRGINIA

Why do you haunt this castle?

GHOST

Because I did something terrible to my wife… 
Now, after three hundred years, I want to sleep in peace, but I can’t…

VIRGINIA

Oh, poor you!  
Isn’t there a place where you could sleep?

GHOST

Yes, there’s a place: the Garden of Death.

VIRGINIA:

 How can I help you?

GHOST

Only love and forgiveness can open the doors of the garden. 
Só o amor e o perdón poden abri-las portas do xardín.

Do  you know the old prophecy on the library window?
Coñece-la vella profecía, na fiestra da biblioteca?

VIRGINIA:

Oh, yes, I do!… (reading) Here´s the text:

“ When a golden girl can win
prayer from out the lips of sin,  
when the barren almond bears,
and a little child gives away its tears,
then shall all the house be still ,
and peace come to Canterville."

“Cando unha rapaza dourada poida obter 
rezo dos beizos do pecado,
cando a amendoeira estéril floreza,
e unha rapaciña deixe correr as súas bágoas,
entón, toda a casa estará queda,
e a paz virá a Canterville."

GHOST

That means that you should cry with me, BECAUSE I have no tears… 
Iso significa que deberás chorar comigo, PORQUE eu non teño bágoas…

Do you understand?… 

Your tears will set me free!…   
As túas bágoas faránme libre!...

And pray  for my soul, BECAUSE I don’t have faith.   
E reza pola mina alma, PORQUE eu non teño fe.

Then I will rest in peace… Are you afraid?
Entón, descansarei en paz… Tes medo?

VIRGINIA

No, I am not… I will pray for your soul! I promise!

GHOST

Take my hand, and come with me to the Garden of Death, over there… 
We will pray together till  you see me fade away.

( THEY WALK TOGETHER TO THE GARDEN)

GHOST

This is it!… Before I leave, take this box, it’s full of gold and jewelry.

( VIRGINIA TAKES THE BOX. THEY KNEEL DOWN AND PRAY. VIRGINIA CRIES).

VIRGINIA

Oh, please, God, forgive him! 
I know he did a terrible thing, but he is sorry for what he did.  
Please, let him rest in peace.  Oh, God… Listen to my prayer.

( THE GHOST DISAPPEARS.)

VIRGINIA

Sir Simon!  Sir Simon!

( VIRGINIA HEARS SOME VOICES CALLING HER)

MRS. OTIS

Virginia!  Virginia!  Where were you?

MR. OTIS

Virginia,  are you all right?

MRS. OTIS

What are you doing here?

NARRATOR 1:

Virginia explains to her family what happened.

NARRATOR 2:

Virginia explica á súa familia o que aconteceu.

VIRGINIA:

 I was with Sir Simon.

MR. OTIS

Where is he?

VIRGINIA:

 Sir Simon is gone… forever.

MRS. OTIS:

What do you mean ?

VIRGINIA

He is now in heaven with his wife.  He was forgiven.

MR. OTIS

Let’s go back home… 

MRS. OTIS

At last, we will have a good night sleep…
Polo menos, teremos unha boa noite de sono…

MR. OTIS:  

And we will never see the stain again…
E nunca veremo-la mancha, de novo…

( THEY HUG AND LEAVE)


T H E   E N D


Author:  Oscar Fingal O’Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900) was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment